Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Reflections and Response to Assessments

The Technology Applications Inventory (TEI) helped me to realize my deficiencies when it came to technology. I was a little more knowledgeable than I thought in the Foundations Domain part of the assessment. There are a few key items that I can improve on, for instance “determining the amount of RAM installed in my computer and the RAM requirements needed by programs I use.”[1] As well as understanding the different file formats and when to use them. These are weaknesses that I need to improve on because many times I have run out of “space” to store a document because I didn’t understand or know how to check for storage amount. My strengths show that I can navigate around a computer and understand how to use it. When it came to the Information Acquisition Domain my knowledge was evenly distributed. I realized that I have difficulty using various search engines. I tend to stick to what I know and not venture outside of my comfort zone. As Principal I need to know where and how to obtain necessary data that is usually located online. I will focus on developing my skills using various search engines and understanding where to locate the necessary data/documents I will need to facilitate my job. I was very weak in the Problem Solving Domain. I didn’t realize that what I was weakest on, using spreadsheets, data entry, etc; weighed heavily in this particular domain. The growing need to become not only hardware savvy, but also software savvy is more important than ever. I will need to improve my skills using this particular software if I’m to be successful in presenting to my staff. In the Communications Domain, my knowledge was evenly spread out. I am weakest on the use of electronic planners and there were a couple more items I didn’t even understand what was meant. My strengths in this particular domain are reflected in my limited use of the software mentioned. I need to strengthen my knowledge and use.
The State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) assessment had detail that helped to point out the strength and weaknesses of the curriculum being taught on my school’s campus. While the curriculum specifies certain knowledge that needs to be taught it doesn’t mean that is what’s happening in the classroom. To my knowledge the only data collected indicating students’ use and proficiency of technologies is through the STaR chart. The assessment inquired how technology was used in the core subject areas. In our school teachers are encouraged to use technology, but I’m not certain how involved are the students in using it also. Many of our students do not have access to computers at home, and the classrooms will only have one maybe two computers, making it difficult for students to complete homework/projects that require technology. Another observation made from the assessment was that until just recently, our teachers did not work “collaboratively”. If a teacher was knowledgeable with a lesson using technology it wasn’t common practice to “share” their knowledge. A final observation made through the SETDA was that we have a fair amount of computers for students’ use. The deficiencies lie in how the teachers incorporate technologies in their instruction.
In reviewing both assessments, while not all of the questions in the TEI pertained to me in my current position as College Access Coordinator, I tend to agree with both assessments. The reasons being were that they pointed out the strengths and weaknesses that I had in my knowledge of technology, and the deficiencies that were and were not occurring on my school’s campus. These assessments helped me to focus on areas that I normally would not have considered.
[1] Technology Applications Inventory – http://www.tea.stte.t.us/technology/techapp/assess/teksurv.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment